Tuesday, September 4, 2007

"Premise : The library world is a) dying, and b) not flexible enough to survive."

This is the rationale for Alexander leaving the library profession in Canberra. I saved this resignation post from his blog because he hits on some spots that are sore points with me too.

He says that most people in the library profession would disagree with his premises...but I definitely agree. With the technology out there now, who is the keeper of intellectual knowledge? Libraries are too book-centric. Knowledge is not exclusively kept in books these days, in fact it is deliberately sucked from books.

"Every time I see a glimmer of hope or a flash of something exciting going on in the library world, it usually fast fades into a charades of politics and committee-shuffle."

BSTF....bye soaring technology fun...Glimmers of hope at conferences, on blogs, talking with colleagues seem to always fade and die when brought back to this institution. Maybe I can find a tiny niche to explore by myself that will not worry anyone else. Or maybe I will just resign myself to the reality that this world is dying from it's inability to change and adapt. Face but don't fall myself into the decline and fall of a once valuable outpost of civilization that was once the keeper of intellectual knowledge. ~C

No comments: